I’m in a huge writing slump right now. And reading slump. Huge.
I’m trying to figure out what’s going on with my writing slump. Possible Causes:
- It’s really hot. Seriously, really hot.
- I broke up with goodreads. (Not under my Evie account. Evie’s still there and present and etc) I spent a lot of time on goodreads, interacted with many people, and found many books. Unfortunately, it had to stop. My author black list was growing to epic lengths and my goodreads member block list was growing faster than ever. And it made me unhappy because I became so disappointed and frustrated with the people I’d end up randomly interacting with. In the interest of my continuation in the genre, I had to stop being a part of it.
- I have been growing increasingly upset with how women are discussed by government, treated in society, represented in media, etc. As this discontent grows, I question my writing focus. Mainly I write m/m, however I do also write other characters under another pseudonym. The reason I write m/m is because men get to have certain freedom in society and in social situations. They also have by default a certain degree of social power that let’s me explore a wider range of relationships and movement in society. The problem here is that I’m now part of the problem rather than a solution. Basically, because I don’t like how women are portrayed in literature, I’m going to write about men. On one hand, I’m totally okay with that. But on the other hand, I’m not helping to improve the portrayal of women in fiction.
- I’m not writing
- I’m not reading. I read a little, but it’s trickled to a stop. I was a voracious reader.
- I’m not talking to anyone online.
- I’ve started quilting and cross stitching to fill my time.
Basically, my creativity has shifted from creating to executing someone else’s creations. Which I have ridiculous amounts of time to do because I’m not reading and I’m not writing.